We use your personal data for many reasons, from understanding how our users engage with our site to informing our site and product design. Ultimately, this allows us to deliver the products and services you need via our site and any app(s).
These are the main reasons why we collect and use data about our users:
- To show you services and products relevant to you and to improve your user experience on our site
- To provide the services you sign up for, such as subscriptions, the ability to buy and to replenish kits
- To carry out marketing analysis and send you communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law
We think carefully about our use of personal data, and below you can find the details of what we do to protect your privacy. This policy covers, among other topics:
- Information about your rights and our obligations
- Clarity our dealings with you and transparency about how we collect and use your personal data
- Commitments on how we protect your personal data
- Commitments on how we will facilitate your rights and respond to your questions.
Personal data is any information about you by which you can be identified. This can include information such as:
- your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile number, business name, profession;
- payment card details;
- information about your device (such as the IP address, which is a numerical code to identify your device that can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based); and
- information relating to your personal circumstances and how you use our sites, apps and services.
who we are and how to contact us
The data controller for our sites and apps is TapMedic IP Limited, The Old Chapel, Chapel Hill, Clayton West, Huddersfield, HD8 9NH. This means that we are responsible for deciding how why and for how long we hold and use your personal data. If you want to contact us, you can find our contact details in the “How to contact us” section below.
what personal data we collect and how we use it
We collect some personal data and some business data when you sign up for our services and when you browse our sites or use our apps. This information is used to provide our products and services and to analyse how visitors use our sites or apps.
the personal data we collect when you register for a TapMedic account
When you register for a TapMedic account at www.tapmedic.co.uk we collect:
- your name;
- your email address;
- your telephone numbers;
- your home address;
- your employer in certain circumstances;
- your business name;
- your business contact details;
- some limited data from your social media profile (optional);
- your photograph, if you add one to your profile page.
You add a username to your profile page and you can use this if posting content or comments on our site.
When you register for a TapMedic account, we assign you a unique ID number that we use to recognise you when you are signed in to our services. This will recognise you if you sign in using the same account on a new device or through a different application such as the TapMedic app on mobile devices.
- your IP address – a numerical code to identify your device and which can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based;
- your browsing history of the content you have visited on our sites, including information on how you were referred to our sites via another website; and
- details of your devices, for example, the unique device ID and browsers used to access our content.
We will not collect special categories of data – such as information about your race, political opinions, religion, health or sexual orientation – ever.
posting comments on our sites
If you post information on one of our sites, the information you post and your username are publicly accessible. This information can be viewed online and collected by other people. We are not responsible for the way these other people use this information. If, for example, you contribute to a discussion, we strongly recommend you avoid sharing any personal details, and especially information that can be used to identify you directly such as your name, age, address, name of employer etc. We are not responsible for the privacy of any identifiable information that you might post in our online community or any public pages of the site.
using our apps
The TapMedic app uses information on the content you have viewed. A list of the pages you have recently viewed is cached in the local storage on your mobile device. You can delete this reading history in the settings of the app. Information on what you have viewed in the app and information on bugs and crashes is also sent to us. You can choose to receive notifications on your mobile device via the app. You can manage these notifications in settings.
how we collect personal data
We collect personal data when you:
- register for an account on www.tapmedic.co.uk;
- purchase any products/services;
- attend our events;
- enter our competitions and surveys;
- sign up to our editorial emails;
- post in our online community;
- sign up for marketing communications;
- use mobile devices to access our content;
- access our sites, through cookies and other similar technology; and
- when you contact us via email, social media, our apps or similar technologies or when you mention us on social media.
why we use your personal data
We use personal data collected through our sites and apps for a number of purposes, including but not limited to the following:
- To provide the services you sign up for, such as sending out purchases. We also use the personal data for related internal administrative purposes – such as our accounting and records – and to make you aware of any changes to our services.
- To send marketing communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law.
- To personalise our services (for example, so you can sign in), remembering your settings and recognising you when you sign in on different devices.
- To carry out marketing analysis, for example we look at what you have viewed on our sites and apps and what products and services you have bought to better understand your experience and preferences, and to improve our offering by making it more relevant to you. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and asking.
- To improve our marketing communications, we use a similar technology to cookies to confirm whether you have opened a marketing email or clicked on a link in the email.
- For statistical purposes such as analysing the performance of our sites and apps and to understand how visitors use them.
- To respond to your queries and to resolve complaints.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations.
legal grounds for using your personal data
We will only use your personal data where we have a legal grounds to do so. We determine the legal grounds based on the purposes for which we have collected and used your personal data. In every case, the legal ground will be one of the following:
- Consent: For example, where you have provided your consent to receive marketing emails from us. You can withdraw your consent at any time. In the case of marketing emails, you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email or through your email preferences in the “emails and marketing” tab, when signed into your TapMedic account.
- Our legitimate interests: Where it is necessary for us to understand our customers, promote our services and operate our sites and apps efficiently for the creation, of products and services we deem appropriate to you. It is also in our legitimate interest to carry out marketing analysis to determine what products and services may be relevant to the interests of our customers. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis by emailing email@example.com and asking.
- Performance of a contract with you (or in order to take steps prior to entering into a contract with you): For example, where you have purchased from us and we need to use your contact details in order to process your order and deliver your order.
- Compliance with law: In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to use or keep your personal data.
updating your personal data and your profile page on our sites
When you register for an account with www.tapmedic.co.uk, you have access to a profile page. Under “edit profile” you can review what information is made public if you comment on an article, or if people look up your profile. You can also update your information or provide extra information if you want.
You may also update your marketing preferences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and asking.
information shared by event partners
When you register at or attend a TapMedic event organised by an event partner, your registration data may be shared with us by the event partner.
using children’s personal data
We do not aim any of our products or services directly at children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal data about children under 13.
security of your personal data
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational controls to protect your personal data against unauthorised processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. You are responsible for choosing a secure password when we ask you to set up a password to access parts of our sites or apps. You should keep this password confidential and you should choose a password that you do not use on any other site. You should not share your password with anyone else, including anyone who works for us. Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our site while still in transit and so you provide it at your own risk.
who we share your personal data with
Depending on where you live, we may share your personal data with other companies within the TapMedic group currently based in the UK. If you are going to one of our events hosted by an event partner, we may share your personal data with that partner for event administration purposes. These events may be outside of the UK.
We do not share your personal data with other people or organisations that are not directly linked to us except under the following circumstances:
- We may share your data with other organisations that provide services on our behalf such as dealing with online payments and other forms of payment processing, ie credit card transactions and preventing fraud.
- We may also share your data with our services partners, as set out in the section below.
- We may reveal your personal data to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other organisation if we are required to do so to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of anyone else.
Any organisations which access your data in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your data and keep to all data privacy laws that apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards.
We will not share your personal data with anyone else for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do this.
Some of our webpages use social plug-ins from other organisations (such as Twitter’s retweet function). These organisations may receive and use personal data about your visit to our sites or apps. If you browse our site or view content on our apps, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organisations use personal data, please read their privacy policies.
international data transfers
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area (EEA), we ensure similar protection and put in place at least one of these safeguards:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been found to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data.
- We may also use specific approved contracts with our service providers that are based in countries outside the EEA. These contracts give your personal data the same protection it has in the EEA .
- Where we use service providers in the United States, we may transfer personal data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield scheme, which requires them to provide a similar level of protection of your personal data to what is required in the EEA.
If you are located in the EEA, you may contact us for a copy of the safeguards which we have put in place for the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA.
how long we keep your personal data
From time to time we may send you service emails, for example, thanking you when you place an order with us or to inform you of the status of a transaction.
marketing communications and newsletters
If we have your permission, we may send you material we think may be of interest to you, such as new TapMedic offers and updates. Depending on your marketing preferences, this may be by email, phone, SMS or post.
We offer an email newsletter. You can manage your subscription to these through your profile page when you are signed in to your TapMedic account.
You can decide not to receive these emails at any time and will be able to “unsubscribe” directly by clicking a link in the email or through your email preferences in the tab “Emails and marketing” when you are signed in to your TapMedic account.
Sometimes we may contact you for market research purposes, for example about a survey. You can opt out from being contacted in this way by by emailing email@example.com and asking.
responding to your queries or complaints
If you have raised a query or a complaint with us, we may contact you to answer your query or to resolve your complaint.
cookies and similar technology
When you visit our sites or when you use our apps, we may collect personal data from you automatically using cookies or similar technology. A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognise and remember you.
your rights with regard to the personal data that we hold about you
You can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- If you would like to have a copy of the personal data we hold on you or if you think that we hold incorrect personal data about you, please write to GDPR, TapMedic IP Limited, The Old Chapel, Chapel Hill, Clayton West, Huddersfield, HD8 9NH or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will deal with requests for copies of your personal data or for correction of your personal data within one month. If your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests, it may take us longer. We will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. You will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive.
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time.
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. Where applicable, you have the right to object to processing of your personal data for certain purposes.
- If you do not want us to use your personal data for marketing analysis, you can change your settings in the “Emails and marketing” tab of your TapMedic account.
If you want to make any of these requests, please contact email@example.com
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.
contact us for information about how we use your personal data
If you have any questions about how we use your personal data or if you have a concern about how your personal data is used, please contact GDPR, TapMedic IP Limited, The Old Chapel, Chapel Hill, Clayton West, Huddersfield, HD8 9NH or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complaints will be dealt with by the Data Protection Manager and will be responded to within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with the way your concern has been handled, you can refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you have a question about anything else, please see our Contact us page.
July 2018 – Version 1.0
August 2018 – Version 1.1